The Union of Santorini Cooperatives was founded in 1947 in order to protect the financial interests of Santorini producers of agricultural products. The cooperative’s winery is located within the traditional and listed settlement of Pyrgos, Santorini. Nowadays, the Union, meeting the modern requirements of the domestic and international markets, designs a new strategy and adopts modern technology and methods. Its investments in new facilities, new machinery, specialized scientific personnel, research and development, in combination with the respect to tradition, the ecosystem and the sustainable development of the island, have contributed to its successful operation both within and outside Greece.
The land of Santorini is anhydrous, since it rains rarely. The 3,500 year tradition in vine cultivation and the art of wine making is maintained nowadays by Santo Wines which cultivates approximately 4000 acres of vineyards that represent about the 1/3 of Santorini surface. Cliff vineyards in Santorini are spreading out on different ground levels, forming the distinctive “pezoules” which were made by the producers so that it is easier for them to cultivate and to maximize the effectiveness of rainwater.